Friday, November 26, 2010

The second half of training is going by a lot quicker than the first half. I went on a weekend trip to San Jose a couple weeks ago, it is really bustling in the day but at night the downtown area gets empty. I feel like I generally know my way around it now and feel comfortable getting around on my own. It was nice to get away from my training community for a bit and hang out with the other volunteers. The weekend after we used our other out-of-site weekend to go to Puerto Viejo in Limon, and that's how after over 2 months in Costa Rica I finally made it to the beach. It was interesting to see Limon, even if it was at more of a touristy spot. The beaches were beautiful and the weather was more or less agreable. I won't go into the bus ride, lets just say it was long but some things can't be helped, and there are going to be many more to come so there's no use complaining.

It's weird to think that 6 months ago I was still in Montreal. I miss it sometimes, the people, the city, not the winters though, it all feels so long ago and that makes me think about the things I did and wish I had done. And just when I was set on becoming a New Yorker again, bam I end up in Costa Rica. I don't mean to give off the impression that I'm anything but excited and happy to be here. I guess I'm only reminiscing because I found out my site for the next 2 years, and its hard to think about the future without considering the past. I like my training community and my host family, but I'm really excited to move on to the next part in my journey. I'm going to be living in the South of Puntarenas, in Piedras Blancas in the Osa Province. I'm excited about it just from looking where it is on the map and reading the info they gave me on the community, I can't wait to actually see it and live it.

Possible goals/non-work related ways to pass the time over the next 2 years: learn to surf, learn to play the guitar, study for the CFA (kind of boring but might keep me sane), get Messi good at futbol (thats soccer for you gringos), suggestions are welcome


View Larger Map

1 comment:

  1. Homie!

    I was just checking out the map of where you are living. Way south, eh? I'm sure that will make for a awesomely different experience. I never got south of San Juan, partly because we were told the roads in the south are much more challenging to navigate in anything other than 4WD trucks. That'll probably making your experience that much cooler and more rugged. When I was there, Rachel told me to visit an amazing surf town called Pavones in Puntarenas. It's only 75km from you! That should only take you a couple days to hitchhike. Let me know when you get on a board, and stay clear of the reef :-/

    hope all is well
    cam

    ReplyDelete